So it would be a great idea to look for a specialized dandruff shampoo that would be gentle on your hair and might just make your life more comfortable and enjoyable.
We’ve done quite a bit of research and have come up with a list of the best dandruff shampoos for curly hair. We have picked the most popular ones and have also listed other products on the market. Check them out below.
|Tea Tree Tingle Special Liter Duo Set||Best Overall|
|Anti-Dandruff Thickening Shampoo||Budget Pick|
|Head and Shoulders Shampoo||Upgrade Pick|
1. Tea Tree Tingle Special Liter Duo Set
- The set comes with 2 different shampoos that both smell great
- The price is very reasonable
- The shampoo leaves my hair feeling soft after washing
- The bottles are well-constructed and the pump dispenser works well
I gave the Tea Tree Tingle Special Liter Duo Set a try after having used a few different products from Head & Shoulders and other pharmaceutical brands. The first time I tried it I lathered up my hair and let it sit for a few minutes to take effect. Not long after, the itching began.
As I scratched my head because I was convinced I had found yet another dandruff shampoo that didn’t really work, I realized that the itching was coming from the shampoo. Wow. I was in shock. WHY!!?!
Looks like I had to get used to the Tea Tree Tingle Scent. Several days later I tried it again. And again, my scalp was itching quite a bit. I’m really eager to try the Pomegranate and Cranberry next since it’s equally as awesome for curly hair.
2. Tea Tree Lavender Mint Moisturizing Shampoo
- Works fast to eliminate moisture and dandruff from the root
- Contains tea tree oil, and peppermint, which relieves scalp itching
- May not be suitable for all hair types, particularly fine or oily hair
- Some customers have found the scent to be too strong
With ingredients like tea tree oil, peppermint and lavender, you can’t go wrong with the Tea Tree Lavender Mint Moisturizing Shampoo.
It begins working immediately to gently cleanse and purify your scalp and hair, eliminating dandruff and bad smells in just a few lathers.
With regular use, your hair is left with a fresh smell (as long as you don’t mind the subtle lavender aroma) and incredibly smooth texture.
3. BIOLAGE Scalpsync Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- It is one of the best rated anti dandruff shampoos
- It works on men with very curly hair
- It has a fairly strong smell
- It can cause hair loss
Seborrheic Dermatitis, Psoriasis and Rosacea.
Bioage Scalpsync an anti dandruff shampoo that has ingredients that can help to clear the scalp without drying it out.
It is aimed at those who have dandruff and those who want to prevent dandruff in the future. This non-drying formula includes saw palmetto, which is a member of the mint family and it’s dried berries. It is a rich source of fatty acids and antioxidants. It is often used to treat skin conditions. The oil from the fruit is also used in some brands of shampoos and conditioners.
4. Head and Shoulders Shampoo
- A great family brand
- The package comes with two bottles
- For both dandruff and dry scalp
- It is suitable for daytime use
- It is affordable
This Strength shampoo is made by the reputable company Head and Shoulders. It is designed for people suffering from dandruff and other scalp related problems such as itchy scalp, dry scalp and scalp related body odor. The shampoo is for frequent usage. The shampoo does well at cleaning the scalp thoroughly and it leaves the hair smelling fresh for a whole day. The shampoo is capable of treating the symptoms of dandruff and it is both gentle on the scalp and hair and it has a good smell. Customers say that the shampoo is gentle on the scalp and hair and it takes care of the flaking on the scalp that is caused by dandruff. The shampoo works well in cleaning the hair and it keeps the hair smelling fresh throughout the day.
5. Denorex Therapeutic Maximum Itch Relief Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner
- Great for seriously dry hair
- Allergy tested
- Contains natural zinc pyrithione
If you’re an athlete or own a dog, there’s a good chance you’ve experienced the itchy, uncomfortable itch that can develop in your hairline and behind your ears when you sweat.
There are many reasons why you may be experiencing this unsightly and uncomfortable condition, which is why I created a list of the best dandruff shampoos for curly hair.
No matter the reason, Denorex Maximum Itch Relief Shampoo is a great choice for alleviating this condition. This sulfate-free shampoo contains natural zinc Pyrithione. A holistic and natural ingredient that helps to eliminate scalp issues and works to relieve itching.
6. Pure Argan Oil Hair Growth Therapy Shampoo
- Gentle formula contains certified organic pracaxi-oil for hair growth.
- Made with certified organic ingredients and no synthetic chemicals, harsh sulfates or parabens.
- The shampoo can leave a residue in the hair.
- Some users don't feel that their scalp stays hydrated when using One N' Only Argan Oil.
- Users with thin hair might experience dryness when using this product.
The shampoo that's only 2.5 ounces might not be expansive enough for some buyers.
Some users who have been using the shampoo for an extended period of time do not see any changes in their hair after using it for a long time.
Reviewers have some mixed feelings about One N' Only Argan Oil Hair Growth Therapy Shampoo. Many of them find that the shampoo makes their scalp feel hydrated, but they don't see any changes in their hair.
7. PURA D'OR Scalp Therapy Shampoo
- Repairs, Protects, & Moisturizes
- Completely Cuts Dandruff Without Damaging Scalp
- Free Of Harmful Chemicals In Dandruff Shampoos
- Variety of Great-Smelling Scents
- Convenient Pump Bottle
- Somewhat Expensive
- Needs To Be Used Weekly
- Contains Parabens
The PURA D'OR healing shampoo and conditioner in Tea Tree, Peppermint, Patchouli, Cedarwood, and Clary Sage are part of the advanced anti-dandruff care system for hair that ensures your scalp and hair remain healthy, while eliminating dandruff.
This dual therapy shampoo has a refreshing, herbal scent that has the essential ingredients of tea tree, peppermint, patchouli, cedarwood, clary sage, and argan oil. Argan oil is considered one of the most beneficial oils for hair and scalp, and used for years in hair care. Argan oil also contains regenerative properties that are ideal for hair and scalp health.
8. Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo Original Formula
- Fortified with Zinc Pyrithione, which removes flakes or scales from the scalp.
- Only available in one size
- There is no added conditioners, which is needed for curly hair.
- Not great for dandruff as it can leave you with an itchy scalp.
Neutrogena T/Gel Hair and Scalp Shampoo is designed to prevent scalp issues that result from having a dry scalp or a flaky scalp.
This product is a great scalp protector and prevents the scalp from drying out. It will help cool down a hot and itchy scalp as well.
This product also makes a good conditioner for your hair and will help prevent your hair from drying out.
9. Design Essentials Peppermint & Aloe Therapeutics Anti-Itch Shampoo
- The peppermint oil effectively relieves itching
- Great for sensitive scalps
- The peppermint oil has a refreshing smell
- It lathers well and is able to cover my long hair
- The scent is really strong for those who don’t like peppermint
- It’s not really helping my dandruff
This shampoo is gentle to use on a daily basis without sacrificing results. It can be used to soothe the itching and flakiness of dandruff while leaving your hair feeling clean and fresh from the herbal scents.
It is quite affordable and works on pretty much all hair types except for extremely sensitive scalps.
10. Luseta Tea Tree & Argan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Set 2×16.9oz
- Tea tree and Argan oil formula can smooth damaged hair follicles
- Helps to reduce dandruff
- Reinvigorates the scalp
- Keeps the hair clean and free of dandruff
- Can be used on color treated hair
- A little expensive
- Some people don't like the scent
(Organic Anti-Fungal Intense Anti-Itch Scalp-Pain Relief Treatment)
This shampoo is all-in-one shampoo and conditioner set which is great for people who are constantly on-the-go and don't have enough time to apply separate two products for their hair.
This natural shampoo is made in the USA with organic ingredients. It includes energizing and anti-itch properties thanks to the addition of Tea Tree essential oils and Argan Oil.
11. Pure Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set Herbal Sulfate Free Daily Anti Dandruff Shampoo
- Gives your hair a fresh and clean feeling
- Combats dandruff and hair fall
- Doesn’t leave residue in your hair
- Gentle on hair
- Doesn’t cause build up
- Smells good
- Doesn’t leave your hair oily
- Good for colored hair
- Natural ingredients
- The shampoo lathers very little
- Too dry for my hair
- Hair felt –squeaky clean—
- Although it doesn’t weigh down hair, it weighs it down too much for my liking
- Leaves hair a bit frizzy
12. Davines Purifying Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Great price
- Leaves hair almost frizz free
- Removes dandruff completely
- Restores moisture
- Smells great
- Doesn’t dull hair colors
- Can leave hair a bit dry and tangled, especially if you don’t use a conditioner after your shampoo
The brand, Davines, is riding high with its high quality products. The Purifying Anti-dandruff shampoo gently cleanses the scalp. The product contains azelaic acid that helps in promoting the growth of the hair and eliminating blackheads. It also helps in bringing back the natural colour of your hair and enhances the hair shine.
It is suitable for colored hair and keeps your hair healthy and shiny. It also does not lead to any dryness.
The product is a mild anti-dandruff shampoo that can be used by both men and women.
13. Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner
- Hypo-allergenic and safe for sensitive scalp
- Helps in reducing dandruffs
- Rebalances hair oils
- Leaves hair soft and shiny
- Reduces split ends
- Can be used on color treated and curly hair
- Available at 16oz
- 9 month money back guarantee
This shampoo and conditioner are specially designed for hair which is prone to oily or dandruffs.
It contains no paraben, sulfate, alcohol, petrolatum or silicones.
This shampoo and conditioner are safe to use even for dry hair as they contains moisturizing and hydrating ingredients which can effectively reduce frizz.
14. Anti-Dandruff Thickening Shampoo
- Sulfate free
- Promotes hair growth
- Great for dandruff and psoriasis
The shampoo contains 2% salicylic acid, an ingredient often found in best anti-dandruff shampoos. This ingredient is also known as a keratolytic agent.
Salicylic acid works to loosen scales and dead skin cells that are responsible for flaking and itching. This shampoo is actually made with all natural ingredients, which is a good sign.
Salicylic acid can work by increasing oil production. Since the shampoo is sulfate free, it won’t dry out the scalp or hair.
15. The Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo
- Enough For A Few Months
- Adds Volume And Shine
- Doesn’t Dry Out The Skin
The number one spot belongs to the Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo by The Body Shop. It removes excess oil and buildup from the hair and scalp and leaves you with no residue.
You should use the Body Shop Shampoo together with the new Body Shop Ginger Scalp Scrub.
Ginger extract helps to calm the scalp and with regular use you should notice that itching will subside. You’ll be left with clean hair and a healthy scalp.
16. Puriya Sulfate-Free Scalp Clarifying Shampoo
- Paraben-free, sulfate-free, 100% vegan and cruelty-free
- Contains natural ingredients like tea tree oil, hibiscus, and chamomile
- Eliminates dandruff and relieves irritation
- Controls itching, flaking and scaly scalp
- Helps nourish hair follicles
With regular use, you will notice fewer flakes, less dandruff, and a nourished scalp. The dandruff shampoo has no color, gel or heavy odors. It’s safe for daily use. The formula helps hair feel replenished & hydrated, provides a cooling sensation to scalp, scalp is left clean and flake-free.
17. PURE Tea Tree Oil Shampoo & Conditioner Set
- This comes in a set, which is great for those who like to have the option to switch and experiment with different products.
- It is a great value for money
- Gentle on the scalp, protects from dandruff, and prevents dryness
- Has a great smell, and it lasts all day
- You might need to use a conditioner as well as the shampoo in order to keep your hair soft.
- The Pure Tea Tree Shampoo can leave your hair feeling dry after use.
Pure Tea Tree Shampoo from PURE is a formulation of natural ingredients that are specially designed to help cure your scalp and hair of dandruff.
This shampoo contains Tea Tree Oil which is an ingredient that is known to be great for dandruff, and it also works great to soothe and nourish the scalp.
The product has a unique formulation that makes it ideal for all hair types. The Pure Tea Tree shampoo, and the conditioner works great when used in tandem with each other. The shampoo is great, and it also comes with a conditioner.
18. Tea Tree Oil Shampoo
- A paste made from green clay powder and rosemary essential oil is an excellent alternative to the scalp to eliminate excess sebum and dirt.
If your scalp is greasy and oily, you can use this mask to improve its condition. Thanks to the presence of green clay, hair will be cleaner and more manageable.
Green clay is a natural and sustainable antioxidant that helps to eliminate free radicals – aging molecules that deteriorate the condition and health of the skin and hair. It is also able to repair the cellular structure of the skin and stimulate cellular regeneration.
If your scalp has a normal pH you can use this mixture once a week. However, if your scalp is oily, remember to use it only once every two weeks due to its antibacterial powers.
19. SheaMoisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Shampoo
- Minor scalp itching suppressed
- Organic plant-based ingredients
- Nourishes the scalp and hair
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What's the best dandruff shampoo for curly hair?
It's not always easy to treat hair that's extra-dry and extra-strong. If you've ever had dandruff or dry scalp, you know how uncomfortable it can be if you don't use the right touch. For curly hair specifically, this can be a tough call to make. Many dandruff shampoos are just too harsh for this type of hair.
Curly hair has its fair share of issues to begin with. It's extremely dry, and often fills with oils and other hair products that weigh the hair down. When there isn't enough hydration or moisture in the hair, it will start to break off and form dandruff. This is why finding a specifically designed dandruff shampoo for curly hair is so important. Rather than clean hair with fiery chemicals, you want a product that actually rebuilds and repairs the hair.
Is curly hair more prone to dandruff?
Curly hair tends to make the signs of dandruff pretty obvious. Greasy looking, flakes on the scalp that fall easily after handling hair. The crunchy feel of dry flakes rubbing between forefinger and thumb. And if you’re very lucky, a crusty lump of scaled scalp will fall onto your scalp when you brush the hair. Yep, that’s dandruff for curly haired people.
Virtually everybody gets dandruff at one point or another, and most of us will know what it feels and looks like. Most of the time, the experience doesn’t last long, and the dandruff only comes back seasonally. And most of us were told it’s because of bad hair products, what we shampoo our hair with.
What are the best shampoos for curly hair?
If you are suffering from a dry, itchy scalp or embarrassing dandruff on your curly hair, then you need to wash your head with the best dandruff shampoo that is made with the best ingredients.
The Dermodyne Dandruff Control Shampoo might be the best dandruff shampoo for curly hair on the market to stop dry scalp effectively. Check the Dermodyne Dandruff Control Shampoo Reviews to see why!
If you are using hair products in your curly hair, then you need to use a specialized shampoo that treats dry and itchy scalp.
Over-applying hair products can cause your scalp to become dry and itchy, but your hair products are supposed to make your hair look good!
Like me, you probably have used a hair product that left your hair soft and shiny while sticking to your scalp like a magnet. This is the worst feeling!
Is head and shoulders bad for curly hair?
Before we can answer that for you, we must know some basic information about your curls.
First, flat out tell us what you use on your hair. It is vital that we know this because every hair type has its own specific needs and requirements. Your routine should never contain products that will dehydrate or damage your hair based on a dandruff shampoo being too harsh.
We strongly believe that Head and Shoulders is a great product to use no matter the hair type.
Secondly, what are your hair goals? Some of us want simple dandruff control, while others want frizz reduction and curl definition.
The answer is most likely a combination of both. Shampoos that balance dandruff and curly hair issues are not always easy to find since curly hair is so very different than straight hair.
If you’re a black man with curly hair, you already know how bad it is to have dry and brittle hair. But it is possible to take control of the situation. Through careful selection of hair products that work with your hair type, you can keep your hair feeling and looking healthy. In the following list, we’ve compiled 20 of the best dandruff shampoos for curly hair.
|Tea Tree Tingle Special Liter Duo Set||Best Overall|
|Anti-Dandruff Thickening Shampoo||Budget Pick|
|Head and Shoulders Shampoo||Upgrade Pick|